Friday, August 15, 2008

Exercise #11

I have studied the information about wikis, which I didn't fully understand before. Now I see it's sort of one step up from a blog. Whereas a blog is focused on just one person, a wiki lets everyone get involved. Readers can not only post a comment, but can actually edit, add to and completely change the look of the page if they so wish. This works brilliantly as a centralised email system as shown in the excellent slide show on Youtube which explains how a wiki works.
A library wiki is useful for readers' advisory and as an expansion of the rating system which we already have, whereby patrons submit book reviews for other patrons to read. I liked the book lovers wiki developed by the Princeton Public Library. I have suggested for purchase by NSL a book which is reviewed in that wiki, so very handy for keeping up-to-date with recent publications.

No comments: